Monday, January 9, 2012

Goatboy - Monday!



Aroo!!! Rain is coming today so I will just have what is primed in my box. 10 hellions. ARGH!! I will build up some Mordhiem stuff too. Lord watching the cooking channel at work hurts my soul a bit haha.

Got in a tournament this Sunday. I was a bit rough due to waking up late and getting bitched at by the people there. My name was put on the list when it shouldn't have and some people were left out. Whoever put my name on there - thanks. And It sucks to have people miss out. Hopefully that will change up as we get more room set aside, jack asses like me aren't late, and well - all of that too hah.

I played my test wolves list. I went 2-1 with a loss to Nick "Darkwynn". My attitude was poor before the game began and like a best bud Nick told me to shut the f up and quit bitching. That helped me a lot and made me realize that I have been wanting to win too much instead of just playing the game. I think a lot of this comes from the last few tournaments almost getting there instead of winning. Winning 7 rounds is tough and getting amped up till the end is a hard thing to come down from. This year will be a better game playing year as I have weekends opened again. I do think Grey Knights have weakened my game as I just utilized their superior states to push me ahead. So with that in mind let's look at the event.

My List!

HQ: Rune Priest, Chooser of the Slain, JaWs, Living Lightning
HQ: Wolf Lord, Storm Shield, Powerfist, Saga of the Bear, Thunder Wolf, Wolf Tooth Talisman, Wolf Tail Talisman, Fenris Wolves X 2
Elites: WG X 10, Terminators X 2, CML X 2, Combi-Melta X 1, Powerfist X 1
Elites: WG X 10, Terminators X 2, CML X 2, Combi-Melta X 2, Powerfist X 2
Elites: Iron Priest, Thunder Wolf, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Cyber Wolves X 4
Troops: Grey Hunters X 8, Meltagun, Wolf standard, Rhino, Dozerblade
Troops: Grey Hunters X 8, Meltagun, Wolf standard, Rhino, Dozerblade
Troops: Grey Hunters X 8, Meltagun, Wolf standard, Rhino, Dozerblade
Troops: Grey Hunters X 5, Meltagun, Razorback, TWL Lascannon, Dozerblade
Troops: Grey Hunters X 5, Meltagun, Razorback, TWL Lascannon, Dozerblade

Pretty simple, basic and swarming. Lots of dudes with guns to shoo stuff.

RD1 - Anthony with Blood Angels. 2 Storm Ravens, 1 Jump Pack Assault, Termies/Libbie/Priest, Death Company, Astro, Death Dread, Furioso Dread.

This is a go big or go home list. Mission was Dawn of War, Capture and Control - with BP going for killing an HQ and having troops in the opponents deployment zone. This was one of those bad games where everything goes right for me and everything goes wrong for Anthony. Sometimes Goatboy has just got to win. First TWL lascannon shot took out the Death Company Raven. Next batch of shooting takes out the Terminator Storm Raven and I blow up the Furioso Dread with missiles. 4+ save sometimes doesn't help. From there he was walking and my Rune priest stopped all spells and I just grinded him out. I charged his Death Company with my Lord and Friend and chewed them up and then took a charge from the Termies and chewed them up too. The Lord did lost 2 wounds to the one arm DC dread. That storm Bolter is a meanie. I won this game with both Objectives.

RD2 - Nick aka Darkwynn with a fun webway list. Harliquinns, Wytches, 3 Talos, Hellions and Baron, and some Scourges. Mission was Annihilation and kill all the Heavies.

Nick got the bonus points for the heavies obviously and off we went. He got a charge off on my lord and friend with the Hellions. He got the reroll wounds Combat drug and I barely lost the lord. If he would have survived the game would have been different but that is life. Awesome game and a good time by one of my best friends. I am glad he gave me crap to break my angry funk. It was an odd game as I failed to wound with bolters a lot (why do you roll 2's!!!) and missed with fists on the dirty Talos's. The Hellions did their job kicking butt all over the board. This was a loss to me.

RD3 - Josh with Draigo win. 10 Paladins with stuff, 5 Man Paladins with stuff, Draigo, Libbie with Warding Stave, 2 Ven dread with fist/MM. Game was 5 Objectives no bonus points.

Lord I don't like Draigo wing. It is either a no fun for you or no fun for me type of game as I make you roll bad or you just roll average and kill things of mine. I played the game to section off the fat 10 man squad and cause hard decisions across the board. The lack of squads hurt Josh as he had to come and deal with me instead of just holding on an objective. The kick in the junk was when I JaWs Draigo through a hood and a -4 from a Dreadnought. His Fat Paladin unit was left at the end of the game as it is a pain in the butt when you miss with all your melta shots. Wolf lord did good by killing off Paladins and the Librarian. I won but did not max out.

I ended up 2 points behind Nick and lost out on Third place. Nick got stomped by Brandon's Venom spam list and we thought my list would have had a better chance. Oh well. It was a fun time and thanks to Dragon's lair for hosting the event again. It has been almost a year since I played there last and I will hopefully get my game in the right frame of mind playing more events and more games. Woohoo!

So let's break down what worked. The 3 Squads of troops Grey Hunters - worked. 2 Razorbacks. Meh. Dozerblades - awesome. Wolf Lord - Ok. Friend - Meh. WG fat units - ok. So right now the question is where do I go? I could go towards a Logan Wing - utilize the fat WG units as hold back and design an army to come and punch you in the face - ie massed dudes. That might not be bad. I kept wishing I had two melta guns instead of just a meltagun/combi-melta. Still it s a thought. Right now 30 Grey Hunters is where I start and then build from there. I will have to experiment with more options to find the sweet spot in the middle.

Currently on the paint block.

Me
Plastic Dudesmen - Drawn
Primarch - Idea stage

Jens
10 hellions - Primed
1 Raider - Not Primed

Mike N.
6 Nob Bikerz - Done!
1 Warboss - Started (green stuff work)

Scott M
3rd ork Flyer - Need to start building.

Luis P.
10 More Mordhiem Beastmen - Woohoo! Should be fun.

So look for more stuff later this week. Today has been pretty busy at work. Rain will do that to ya haha.



3 comments:

Aventine said...

heads up, I don't know if it's what you are doing, but the Lord can't join the Iron Priest/Cyberwolves unit. He can very specifically only join Thunderwolf Cavalry and Fenris Wolves

Thomas aka Goatboy said...

The iron priest is on a cav and the cyber wolves are a subset of fenris wolves. Thus why he can join them etc.

Thomas aka Goatboy said...

You are right! He was going to get dropped anyway but thanks! Yeah I guess you could argue but via the rules - he can only join Thunder Wolf Cavalry and Fenris Wolves. means you can't join two characters up though which is kind of odd. They need some meat in their Sandwich.